New Parking Policy for Faculty and Staff
UMass Lowell continues to grow in size and reputation, and managing parking inventory is essential in maintaining a fair and equitable system is critical.
The University’s Parking Committee, comprised of representatives from a cross-section of campus, carefully considered and adopted a number of policy change recommendations for the 2012-2013 academic year.
Summary of Policy Changes
The Executive Cabinet has approved the following policy changes, effective Aug. 27, 2012:
- With the exciting completion of the North Campus Garage, faculty and staff will be provided exclusive access to the top three and one-half levels of the garage. This change will provide 360 covered spaces, a net gain of 87 dedicated parking spaces for all employees on North Campus. Access to these spaces will be available to all faculty and staff with a valid 2012-13 parking decal.
- All vehicular access to the North Campus Garage will be from a newly designed entrance on Sparks Street.
- The Southwick Lot will be offered as designated parking in the same way that existing Cumnock and Southwick spaces are available today. Access to the gates at Southwick will be restricted to persons with disabilities and reserved Southwick spaces.
- To accommodate the construction of the new South Campus Garage, the Lower Mahoney Lot will not be available for parking.
- The University will lease 52 spaces from Sheehy Park, the city lot on the corner of Pawtucket and Wilder streets. These spaces will be available for faculty, staff and upper class commuter students, and should offset the loss of spaces in Lower Mahoney. Please be careful not to park in any spaces marked for recreational use only. These spaces are reserved for City of Lowell residents using the park.
- Free satellite parking will continue to be available for all faculty and staff at the 1001 Pawtucket Blvd Lot, with full bus service available 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., excluding holidays.
Carpooling: A New Green Initiative
The University is proud to announce a new carpooling program aimed at reducing the number of vehicles on campus and our carbon footprint:
- A number of signed carpool spaces will be located in the Riverside Surface Lot on North and the Wilder faculty/staff lot on South.
- Carpool groups of two or more people can register at the UCAPS Office and receive a single carpool permit that will be used to open the parking gates and park in designated carpool spaces. If all carpool spaces are taken, the hang tag will permit parking in non-designated spaces in faculty/staff lots.
- The price of the carpool permit will be proportional to the full cost of a decal. For example, if a group of two register for the program, each person will only pay half of the cost of a decal.
Parking Rates for the 2012-2013 academic year are as follows:
- Cabinet Parking - $750/year*
- Cumnock Designated - $750/year*
- Wannalancit Preferred - $300/year*
- Department Chairs - $175/year*
- Benefited Faculty/Staff - $175/year*
- Non-Benefited Staff - $80/year*
- Adjunct Faculty - $80/year*
- Satellite Parking - no cost
*Benefited employees and adjunct faculty are required to enroll in a pre-tax payroll deduction. this is deducted each pay period that the faculty/staff member is paid.
Many other resources about 2011-2012 parking can be found on our website and linked below:
Any questions regarding the new policy can be directed to our office via e-mail: UCAPS@uml.edu.