ACS and UCard Upgrade FAQs
Please find many frequently asked questions regarding our two access upgrades being performed across campus below.
What system is currently being used across campus and why is it being replaced?
The University currently uses Millennium Enterprise, a 14-year-old product. While it is an excellent system, it is slow by today's standards and does not allow us to easily integrate other key systems such as surveillance cameras and intrusion alarms.
What system is replacing Millennium Enterprise?
Lenel OnGuard will be replacing Millennium Enterprise. This system is used by UMass Dartmouth, UMass Medical, and UMass President's Office.
What needs to be replaced to upgrade the system?
The central software and associated servers will be replaced and prepared before any hardware replacements are performed. All existing card readers, door hardware, wiring, motion sensors and door contracts will remain, and all that needs to be replaced are the door controllers that are located centrally in each building.
What impacts will be felt by the University during the upgrade?
During the month of May 2012, we anticipate one building will be without card access for 1-2 days for the entire month. All current UCards will continue to work after the upgrade as they did before, and each department will be notified ahead of time to plan accordingly during the planned outages. Additionally, no new card readers will be able to be installed until the completion of the upgrade effective April 1, 2012.
When will the upgrade be completed?
We anticipate the upgrade to be complete before June 1 as to not impact Student Orientation.
What is our current card technology and why is the University changing it?
When the University first began using proximity readers in 1998, we underestimated the growth to today's 400 readers across campus. At the time of the installation, the most current technology was Indala which served its purpose but had no room for future expansion and has a low level of encryption to secure the data on the cards. A large number of our cards today are Indala.
What is the University changing to?
The University is switching to iClass technology, which allows information to be placed onto the cards for future expansion, and offers a much higher level of encryption. We made the switch to iClass in 2007 when it became a prominent standard at that time.
What is required to be a fully iClass institution?
Upgrading fully to iClass is a two-step process that requires replacing all Indala readers with iClass readers, and replacing all Indala ID's with iClass ID's. Replacing all of the readers will occur over the 2012-2013 academic year.
Fortunately 65 percent of the University already has an iClass UCard and will not be impacted by this upgrade. The remaining 35 percent will be need to visit the UCAPS Office over a 1-2 year period.
How can I determine whether I have an Indala or iClass UCard?
The type of card you have is printed on the back of your UCard on the bottom left corner (between the magnetic stripe and edge). If your card says "Indala," "Flexpass" or "Motorola" it will need to be replaced at some time. If your card says "iCLASS" you do not need to replace your card. The different logos can be found below:
What if I do not get my card replaced?
We have taken measures to allow older cards to continue working on all doors, but the biggest impact will be seen at the parking gates. In our high volume lots we have installed long-range readers that allow you to use your UCard between 18" and 22" which helps the flow of traffic significantly.
As we upgrade all of our readers over the 2012-2013 academic year, Indala cards will no longer work on long range readers due to some power constraints. While there will be a standard-range reader (approximate range of 2-3") on the stand, you will want to be able take advantage of the longer ranges.
The first long-range iClass reader was installed at the Riverside Lot (Sparks Street Gate 1) on April 19, 2012.
If I have an Indala card when should I get it replaced? Is there a cost to me?
UCAPS has the ability to determine what type of card you have and will notify you by e-mail and UML Today when you should come have it replaced. Current commuters that have purchased a parking decal and have an Indala card are welcome to visit our office for a replacement today.
There is no cost to upgrade your Indala card to an iClass card, provided it is the currently active card we have on file. If you do not return your old UCard, or it is not the active card we have on file, you will be required to pay the $20 replacement fee.
- Upper class Commuters w/ Parking Permit: Now
- Upper class Commuters w/o Parking Permit: Not Required
- Freshmen Commuters: Not Required
- Residential Students w/ Parking Permit: Now
- Residential Students w/ Parking Permit: Not Required
- Faculty/Staff w/ Parking Permit: Now
Faculty/Staff w/ Parking Permit: