Health Insurance

  • I waived out of the health insurance plan last year. Do I need to do it again?

    Yes. You must complete the online Waive/Enroll Health Insurance Form when you enter the University and every academic year thereafter.

  • What if I have my own health insurance coverage?

    You will be enrolled in the school’s health plan unless you certify that you have comparable coverage through a parent/guardian, spouse or self. To do this, complete an online Enroll/Waive Health Insurance Form.

    Even if you have certified that you have comparable healthcare coverage under another plan, you still must complete the online Waive/Enroll Health Insurance form when you enter the University and every academic year thereafter.
    I am covered under MassHealth
    All students with MassHealth coverage must both waive the University Student Health Insurance Plan and submit official documentation to the Student Health Services Office, McGauvran Hall, South Campus, which confirms coverage (i.e., original notice on MassHealth letterhead). If this documentation is not received by the deadline indicated on the iSiS website, the health plan charge will be reinstated on your student bill.

    Please note that Massachusetts college students are ineligible to enroll in Commonwealth Connector health insurance plans offered by the state as of July 1, 2007. Additional information regarding the Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) can be found on the Commonwealth Connector website, under Health Care Reform: SHIP FAQ.

    I am covered under a managed-care plan
    Students with a managed-care plan who live outside their coverage area while attending UMass Lowell must choose a primary care provider in the Lowell area or elect to enroll in the University Student Health Insurance Plan. Lab work procedures and/or prescriptions from the Student Health Services Office at UMass Lowell often are not covered by a managed-care plan and the student may be responsible for all expenses incurred.

  • What if I don't have health insurance?

    Enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan by accessing the Enroll/Waive Health Insurance Form through your iSiS account. If you have specific questions regarding the plan coverage, please contact Student Health Services for detailed plan information.

  • What if I am an international student?

    All international students are required to be enrolled in the University Student Health Insurance Plan. This requirement is authorized under the insurance laws for higher education students in Massachusetts (section 3.05[2] or MGL 114.6). More information is available from our International Student Office.