Dr Earl Ada joined the University of Massachusetts Lowell in September 2006 as the manager of the Material Characterization Laboratory (MCL). Prior to coming to UML, he was a research scientist and manager of the surface analysis lab of the central analytical facility at the University of Alabama. Dr. Ada obtained his PhD in Analytical Chemistry from the University of Illinois at Chicago. He received a Welch Foundation postdoctoral fellowship from the University of Houston studying low energy ion beam applications to surface analysis and to the modification of materials surfaces. Dr. Ada’s research interests include surface modification of polymers and metals for biomaterial applications; surface and interfacial chemistry of polymer, metal and semiconductor thin films; and the development of innovative techniques in teaching undergraduate science and engineering courses. He is an active member of the American Chemical Society and the American Vacuum Society.
Mr. Christopher Santeufemio joined the MCL staff as a laboratory technician in November 2007. Chris brings with him over 17 years of experience and expertise in various forms of microscopy including optical, electron and scanned probe microscopy. His expertise is in all areas of microscopy, including metrology, semiconductor characterization, thin films applications, biomedical applications, and nano-characterization techniques. He obtained his degree in Biology from the University of Hartford. He has served in research and analytical service capacities at various hospitals and industrial, government and academic laboratories in the New England area. He has been involved in the microscopy and nanotech communities throughout his career. He has been a member of the Microscopy Society of America for over 15 years. Chris was the president of the New England Society for Microscopy for 2007.
Material Characterization Lab User Committee
- Daniel Schmidt, Ph. D. Associate Professor, Department of Plastics Engineering, MCL User Committee Chair
- Carol Barry, Ph.D. Eng. Professor, Department of Plastics Engineering
- Dhimiter Bello, SC. D, Associate Professor Department of Work Environment
- Peter Gaines, Ph. D Associate Professor, Department of Biological Sciences
- Zhiyong Gu, Ph. D Associate Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering
- Christopher Hansen, Ph. D, Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Jayant Kumar, Ph. D, Professor, Department of Physics and Applied Physics
- Xuejun Lu, Ph. D. Associate Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- James Whitten, Ph. D Professor and Chair, Department of Chemistry
- Mingdi Yan, Ph. D. Professor, Department of Chemistry