Please check back frequently for updates.
- October 7, 2015, 4:30-6 p.m. Climate Change Teach-In, with Naomi Oreskes, Ph.D., Harvard University, co-author of "The Collapse of Western Civilization" and "Merchants of Doubt." Oreskes' book inspired a documentary released in the Spring, 2015, called "Merchants of Doubt." The book and documentary reveal how disturbingly easy it can be for unscrupulous spin-meisters to dupe journalists and the public. More information will be posted soon, including times and locations to view the movie. Both events are free and open to the public.
- May 13, 2015,
CCI Director, Juliette Rooney-Varga, addressed the Metro Boston Climate Preparedness Summit, convened by Boston Mayor Marty Walsh. Fourteen mayors of the metro Boston region signed a commitment to address climate change together as a result: Boston, Cambridge, Chelsea, Everett, Malden, Melrose, Medford, Newton, Quincy, Revere, Somerville, Brookline, Winthrop and Braintree. WBUR covered the summit.
- May 12, 2015, Climate Change Initiative Team Strategic Planning meeting. Members of the CCI team review and assess the CCI's mission, goals and achievements and plan for the near and long-term future. Massachusetts State Senator Mark Pacheco addressed the group.
- April 30, 2015, Andrea Ranger, Energy and Green Building Consultant, "Where our Electricity Comes From" Location: Alumni Hall, 11am - 12:15 p.m. Free and open to the public.
- April 28, 2015, 11-11:45 a.m., Mike Barrett, State Senator, Massachusetts “Pricing Carbon in Massachusetts, ” Location: Saab ETIC Atrium. Mike Barrett is State Senator for nine Massachusetts communities. He leads legislative efforts in Massachusetts to price carbon products so as to reflect the costs of using them. Progressive and conservative economists are finding common ground in favor of this idea. Working with a small but expanding circle of concerned voters and business groups, he has put the issue of carbon pricing on the state’s political and public policy radar. Interested faculty and administration are invited to a brunch with the Senator, before the talk. Contact Phyllis Procter.
- April 23, 2015, I'll Stop the World and Melt With You: Student Climate Film Fest, Community Discussion and Luncheon. Over lunch, watch, listen, ask, and learn about what climate change means to UMass Lowell students, faculty, and staff. Students will present self-produced film shorts.
- April 20-24, 2015, Earth Week events include collection drives, energy reduction and food composting challenges, bike-to-campus day, and a campus community garden program. Sponsored by: Environmental and Emergency Management, Climate Action Plan Sustainability Steering Committee, Facilities Operations & Services, Administrative Services, Transportation, Student Gov.Assoc. (SGA), Student Environmental Alliance (SEA), Student Activities, Residence Life, Dining Services, Climate Change Initiative, City of Lowell and Lowell National Parks. Event Flyer (pdf).
- April 16, 2015, Oliver S. Garcia, director of Sustainability and Environment, City of Somerville “Making Somerville a Carbon-Neutral City: How do you start the transformation?”
- March 30-31, 2015, Juliette Rooney-Varga, director of the UMass Lowell Climate Change Initiative and associate professor of Environmental Biology, will be a featured speaker at the upcoming "Paris Climate 2015-COP 21," an international symposium on education and climate change taking place in Paris on March 30-31, 2015. Rooney-Varga will address “New Interactive Pedagogic Tools” during Day 1 of the symposium, which will be held at the Economic, Social and Environmental Council (Place d'Iéna). The symposium, which is part of the 12th International Weather and Climate Forum, features scientists, weather presenters and heads of climate plans and sustainable development from 50 countries. It will review a set of French, European and international initiatives around innovative education and training methods on climate change.
- March 27, 2015, Susan Gallagher, Associate Professor, Political Science and CCI member, addresses National Park Service personnel and staff who work in various national heritage areas. She will discuss ideas about educational programming and the role the CCI can play in climate change education, as part of the conference, "Community Character & Common Theme: The Meaning and Memory of Place."
- March 25, 2015 - Juliette Rooney-Varga will speak at the "Forum for Policymakers: Climate Change Resiliency - How Will the Commonwealth Fashion Its Future?" This event is sponsored by Senate President Rosenberg and Senators Pacheco, Gobi, Brownsberger and Barrett and Reps. Smizik and Walsh.
- Feb. 18, 2015, "Make a Change for Us," Do you want to make a difference in the world? Are you concerned about climate change, the environment, your future? Join UMass Lowell students, faculty and staff for the Student Environmental Alliance (SEA) Club kickoff meeting. More information is available on the Make A Change for Us Facebook page.
- Jan. 15, 2015, CCI Team Members review research, education and outreach goals and plan for the near and long-term future. For more information contact Phyllis Procter: firstname.lastname@example.org.See Past Events for previous years.