March 9, 2012 – Inn & Conference Center, Lowell MA (UMass Lowell)
The summit was hosted by Biopharmaceutical Process and Quality Consortium (BPQC) and Massachusetts BioManufacturing Center (MBMC)
The main theme of the biopharmaceutical summit was to address how to overcome hurdles and challenges, and drive innovation in biopharmaceutical development and manufacturing. The covered topics included:
• Challenges in biopharmaceutical development and manufacturing
• Innovative technologies for overcoming challenges and hurdles
• Implementation of innovative technology for advanced manufacturing
• Next generation biopharmaceutical process
This one-day workshop marked the first annual event of the Biopharmaceutical Process and Quality Consortium, which kicked off in October, 2011. Summit participants were scientists and engineers from biopharmaceutical manufacturers, technology/system providers, raw material suppliers and agencies in the area of development, manufacturing, and engineering. Via this workshop, professionals and leaders of biopharmaceutical industry were able to get together and talk about challenges in manufacturing and development, and share new breakthroughs and success stories. It also provided network opportunities with professionals from major biopharmaceutical manufacturers and various technology providers such as Biogen Idec, Genzyme, Pfizer, Momenta, Millipore, GE, SAFC and more!
Featured Speakers and Presentations
• Dr. Jorg Thommes, Vice President of Global Engineering, Biogen Idec Mr.
• Dr. William E. Bentley, Robert E. Fischell Distinguished Professor and Chair, Fischell Department of Bioengineering of the University of Maryland, College Park
• Bob Steininger, Head of Manufacturing and Operations, Accerelon Pharmaceuticals
• Dr. Michael J. Betenbaugh, Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering of Johns Hopkins University
These keynote speakers gave featured presentations on "Challenges and Innovations of Biopharmaceutical Manufacturing and Development," and ground-breaking Genomics research in biopharmaceuticals.
Distinguished Speakers and Panelists
• Rajesh Beri, PhD, Director of Manufacturing Sciences and Technology Department, Lonza Biologics
• Brian Collins, PhD, Associate Director of Technical Operations, Momenta Pharmaceutical
• Cenk Undey, PhD, Director of Process Development, Amgen
• Bert Frohlich, PhD, Director of Bioengineering, Shire HGT
• Brian Lee, PhD, President and CEO of PBS Biotech
• Tom Fletcher, Director of Cell Culture R&D, Irvine Scientific
• Rahul Godawat, PhD, Process Scientist of Downstream Development, Genzyme
• Tim Johnson, PhD, Manager of Process Development, Genzyme
• Magdalena Leszczyniecka, PhD, CEO, STC Biologics,
• Mark Plavsic, PhD, Sr. Director and Global Microbiological, Viral and TSE Advisor Genzyme Biopharmaceutical
• Weichang Zhou, PhD, Sr. Director of Commercial Cell Culture Development at Genzyme
• Joseph Makowiecki, PhD, Manager of Downstream Process Development and Pilot Plant, Xcellerex
• Consortium faculties
• 20-30 Posters by graduate students and researchers of Biopharmaceutical consortium.
Massachusetts Life Science Center
University of Massachusetts, President Office
Roche Diagnostics Co.