For UMass Lowell Faculty and Students
Getting Started: UMass Lowell’s Core Research Facilities (CRF) Program
Academic researchers and students are invited to use our Core Research Facilities services and sophisticated instrumentation. Follow the simple steps detailed in the “Account Process” link to open a CRF account and register users. Once your organization’s account is opened and user id’s established you are clicks away from scheduling instrument training, reserving equipment use and ordering services.
Please contact Theresa Hamelin, CRF Business Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding any questions.
Complete and submit the account application. Faculty members using the Core Research Facilities will need to open an account in their name, not the name of their department or UMass Lowell. (At this time the web interface does not provide a separate form for faculty, students and external users, therefore please select the “complete billing contact information” and “signature authority” information using the automatic fill buttons provided. If monthly invoices are to be sent to staff other than the faculty contact, please provide this information in the billing contact fields. This information populates the database and allows for invoices to be electronically transmitted from the database.
- An account number and password will be sent to the faculty member requesting the account. Faculty must provide their account number and account password to students authorize to bill to their accounts. In order to safeguard the procurement process, you are responsible for providing your account information as a means of authorizing users to make use of CRF services and instruments.
- Faculty will be assigned a “User ID” automatically once their account is approved. There is no need to apply for a user account separately.
Note: Internal rates will be visible once users have logged in to the system. Industry rates are published on the CRF web-page.
Users register on-line. Faculty must provide their students their faculty accounts number and password. (The account number is four numbers and generated by the CRF database. The account password is determined by the faculty member).
- Students register for a user id. The user id is the individuals email address and encrypted password entered on the user registration form.
- Once a user id has been issued, users are able sign up for instrument training, order services and schedules instrument time using our on-line reservation system. All orders must reference a billing reference (speed type) number.
- External user rates are established using a full cost-recovery model.
- Rates include lab supplies*, stock materials, use of the research laboratory’s ancillary and auxiliary equipment and tools.
- Users of the Nanofabrication Laboratory clean room experimental bays are required to prepay any and all related equipment installation and removal cost.
- In accordance with federal guidelines user rates are reviewed on an annual basis to coincide with the University’s fiscal year. Published rates will be reviewed and possibly adjusted July 1st of each fiscal year.
*(Rates for the Nanofabrication Laboratory include gowning for one person. Gowning for additional guests must be ordered as an additional line item on the ordering system).
- Standard operating hours for external users is 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Instrument use outside standard hours may be coordinated and approved by the respective Lab Director.
- There is no additional charge for general lab and safety training.
- Instrument training is billed at the rate as designated for each instrument.
- Instrument SOP’s and related documents are available on the instrument listing.
- Monthly journal entry forms will be sent to faculty or designated contact and user. Users will be billed for all reserved time. Users are to report equipment malfunctions to the appropriate Lab Director. The Lab Director may waive charges in the event of equipment or facilities failures.
- Payment terms are NET 30. Accounts and user accounts with outstanding payments greater than 60 days may be suspended.