Experience in secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS), x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), auger electron spectrometry (AES) and gas mass spectrometry. Expertise in ultra-high vacuum (UHV) techniques and physical vapor deposition
Research in surface characterization using SIMS and XPS for a wide range of materials including polymers, plastics, biomaterials and LB films GTE Laboratories, Waltham, MA - 1964 to 11/27/92 (retired) Principal Member of Technical Staff. SIMS: Concentration and distribution of Er in optical fiber preforms; Zn concentration in MOCVD InP for photodiodes; Nitrogen distribution in ion implanted hard metals and ceramics; Distribution in quantum well structures; Determination of a complex multilayer thin film assembly for optical applications. AES: A study of the composition of (InGaAsP) quantum well structures on process parameters; Interface studies between metal films on semiconducting substrates. XPS: The effects of a low pressure mercury discharge on the surface chemistry of fluorescent lamp phosphor; Characterization of lamp cathodes at various stages of the activation process; Protective coating on electroluminescent and lamp phosphor. Gas mass spectrometry: Study of Ti/Zr getter materials for hydrogen; Gases in fluorescent lamps; Outgassing studies of silica sand, hard metals, ceramic powders.
University of Massachusetts Lowell - 12/1/92 to present Research Specialist
Consultant in the development of a compound parabolic solar collector in collaboration with University of Chicago.
Veeco Instruments - 1959 to 1964
General Electric Co., Lighting Division, - 1957 to 1959
Over twenty five publications and presentations.
Four patents and one proprietary achievement award.
- "Technique for the Analysis of Insulating Materials by Glow Discharge Mass Spectrometry", (with G. Maklae and D. Dugger), 5,081,352, January 14, 1992.
- "Methods for Characterization of Adhesion between Hard Materials", (with F. Sivo, V.K. Sarin and J. Sanchez), 5,027,650, July 2, 1991.
- "Intercalation of Small Graphite Flakes with Metal Halide" 4,604,276, August 5, 1986, (with S. Su)
- "Fluoresecent Lamp Akaline Earth Halophosphate Phosphor with Protective NaCs2Pr/C16 Coating", 4,243,909, January 6, 1981, (with C. Brecher)
PROPRIETARY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
"Laser Welding of Small Noble Metal Contacts to Bare and Solder Coated Wire", July 1979 (with C. D'Angelo)
American Physical Society, American Vacuum Society, American Society for Mass Spectroscopy, Sigma Xi.
- "Fabrication of Waveguides using Low-Temperature Plasma Processing Techniques", (E.S. Bulat, M. Tabasky, B. Tweed, C. Herrick, S. Hankin, N.J. Lewis, D. Oblas and T. Fitzgerald), Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology, A 11(4), p1268, July/August 1993.
- "Fabrication of Er-Doped Fibers for Optical Amplifiers", (T. Wei, M. Sullivan and D.W. Oblas), Proceedings of the International Symposium of Optoelectronics in Computers, Communications and Control, National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan China, December, 1992.
- "Topographic/Structure Changes of Impanted Si3N4", (with V.K. Sarin and K. Ostreicher), Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 7, No. 9, September 1992.
- "Optimization of Gas Source MBE Growth of InGaAs/InP Quantum Wells and Lattice Matched InGaAs on InP Using PL Spectroscopy" (with E.S. Koteles, B. Elman, D. Kenneson, J. Powers, A.N.M. Choudhury and D.W. Oblas), Proceedings of the Electronic Materials Conference, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, TMS, Warrendale, PA, June 1992.
- "The Effects of Growth Interruptions at Interfaces on the Shapes of InGaAs/InP Quantum Wells Grown by Gas Source MBE",(with B. Elman, E.S. Koteles, D. Kenneson, J. Powers and D.W. Oblas), Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on InP and Related Materials, Newport. RI, IEEE Lasers, April 1992.
- "Quantitative Determination of Er in Silica-Based Matrices", (with F. Pink, M.P.Singh, J. Connolly, D. Dugger and T.M. Wei), Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Boston, MA, Dec. 3, 1991 "Optical Waveguide Materials", ed. M.M. Broer, G.H. Sigel,Jr., R.Th. Kersten and H. Kawazoe, Vol. 244, 149, MRS Pittsburgh, PA , 1992.
- "Measurement of the Spectral Dependence of Absorption Cross Section for Erbium-Doped Single-Mode Optical Fiber", (with M.P. Singh, J.O. Reece, W.J. Miniscalco and T. Wei), Technical Digest, Symposium on Optical Fiber Measurements, NIST Special Publication 792, 1990.
- "Concentration and Distribution of Er, Al and P in Silica-Based Optical Fiber Preforms by SIMS (with T. Wei, W.J. Miniscalco and B. Hall), Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Boston, MA, Nov. 29, 1989, "Optical Fiber Materials and Processing", ed. J.W. Fleming, G.H.Sigel, Jr., S. Takahashio and P.W. France, Vol. 172, 315, MRS, Pittsburgh, PA , 1990.
- Final Report "Development of Adherent Ceramic Coatings to Reduce Contact Stress Damage", (with V.K. Sarin, C. D'Angelo and H. Rebenne), ORNL Subcontract 86X95915C, TR 0027-03-89830,1989.
- "Mechanisms of N2 Implantation of Co, WC and Co-W Alloys" (with V.K. Sarin), J.Vac. Sci. & Tech., A5(2), 159, March/April 1987.
- "The Intercalation of Micron-Size-Graphite Powder with Annhydrous Ferric Chloride", (with S. Su), Carbon, Vol. 25, No. 3, 391, 1987.
- "Ion Implantation and Its Application to WC-Co Cemented Carbides", (with V.K. Sarin) Carbide and Tool Journal, 15, July/Aug 1986.
- "Low Voltage SEM Surface Studies of Microhardness and Topography of lon Implanted Cemented Carbides" (with J. Hefter and T. Emma), Proceedings of 43rd Annual Meeting of the Electron Microscope Society, 1985.
- "The Chemistry and Characteristics of Nitric Acid/Graphite Intercalation" (with S. Su), Materials Research Society Symposium Proc., Vol. 20. 231, ElsevierScience Publishing Co. Inc, 1983.
- The Effect of Chlorine on the Intercalation of Ferric Chloride in Pyrolytic Graphite, (with S. Su), 6th International Conf. on Carbon and Graphite, London, September 1982 (Extended Abstract).
- "The Determination of Organic Species in the Telephone Central Office Ambient", (with D. Dugger and S. Lieberman), IEEE Transactions on Components, Hybrids and Manufacturing Tech., Vol CHMT-3, No. 1, 17, 1980.
- "Modification of an SSMS lon Source to Reduce Residual Gas Effects", (with D. Dugger), J. Vac. Sci. and Tech., Vol. 17, No. 4, 826, July/Aug 1980.
- "Trace Determination of C and O in Tungsten by Spark Source Mass Spectrometry", (with D. Dugger), Talanta, Vol. 24, 447, 1977.
- "Argon Entrapment in Metal Films by DC Triode Sputtering", (wilh W. Lee), J. of App. Phys., Vol. 46, No. 4, 1728, 1975.
- "Sensitivity Factors of the Rare Earths in an rf Spark Source Mass Spectrograph", Applied Spectroscopy, Vol. 25, No. 3, 325, 1971.
- "Argon Concentration in Tungsten Thin Films Deposited by DC Sputtering", (with W. Lee), Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, l29, 1970.
- "Determination of Argon in Thin Films by Spark Source Mass Spectrography", (with H. Hoda), Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 39, No.13, 6106, 1968.
- "Methods of Trace Analysis of Rare Earths", (with J. Cosgrove, R. Walters and D. Bracco) Electrochemical Technology, Vol. 6, No. 3-4, l37, 1968.
- "High Sensitivity Helium Mass Spectrometer Leak Detection", (with M. Doctoroff and S.Grossel) 1961 Transactions of the 8th Vacuum Symposium and 2nd International Congress, Vol. 2, 108, Pergamon Press.