UMass Lowell takes protecting your privacy very seriously. We are bound by FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). We can only disclose information distributed in the informational directory. You may opt to have your directory information withheld by filling out the request to prevent disclosure of directory information. If you do not opt out, your information can be released without your permission.
2014-2015 University of Massachusetts Lowell Annual FERPA Notification
The University of Massachusetts Lowell considers the following data informational in nature and may be released without permission of the student, at the discretion of the university:
- student's name and student’s major
- student’s hometown
- acknowledgement of a student's participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- weight and height of members of athletic teams
- date(s) of attendance; degrees, certificates, awards received
- the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student
- appointment as a Resident Assistant or Community Development Assistant
- for graduate students who are teaching credit courses, work department, office address, and employment category are also defined as directory information
Preventing Disclosure of Your Information
If students wish to prevent directory information from being disclosed, they may submit the Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information form to the Registrar's Office.
Consider very carefully the consequences of any decision made by you to withhold the "Directory Information." Should you decide to inform the university not to release your "Directory Information," any future requests for such information from non-institutional persons or organizations will be refused.
Your request to withhold release of this information will prevent the University, except under a signed release and a copy of photo ID, from
- certifying your enrollment status,
- listing your name in any newspaper releases pertaining to dean's list, graduation, awards, etc.
- listing your name on the university website for participation in projects or winning awards;
- being included in university publications such as the website and magazine.
The university will honor your request to withhold the information listed below but cannot assume responsibility to contact you for subsequent permission to release them. Regardless of the effect upon you, the university assumes no liability for honoring your instructions that such information be withheld.
Student Information Change
You can update some information using your SiS self-service account such as preferred name, address, telephone number and personal email address. Below are links directly to SiS.
Change of Address
Students are able to update permanent, mailing and degree addresses within your SiS Self-Service student account. Students may also still complete the Student Information Change (pdf) form from the Registrar's Office.
Note: International Students cannot update their permanent address.
Change of Name
To change your primary legal name, you must submit Student Information Change (pdf) form with legal documentation demonstrating the change, such as a driver's license, marriage certificate, etc.
- Update Name (Preferred & Degree Type only) in SiS
- Add Name (Preferred & Degree Type only) in SiS
- View UMass ID
- View Gender
- View Date of Birth
- View Birth State
- View Marital Status
- View Military Status
- View Citizenship Information
- View Last 4 digits of SSN (first 5 are masked)
- View Visa or Permit Data