Additional Security Services & Systems
The University is responsible for providing access control to all on-campus facilities. Such control includes random foot and motorized patrol, stationary security check points, pre-approved access authorization screening, intrusion alarm systems, card access systems, the monitoring of strategically placed CCTV cameras, as well as the development of security plans for events held on campus.
Security Cameras: The University Police Department seeks to enhance public safety and security by utilizing security cameras in a professional and ethical manner, consistent with accepted legal rights of privacy. Currently, 287 security cameras are in use, 88 are installed in the residence halls and 199 are installed in non-residential buildings.
All Campus Alert (ACA): Additional notification portal utilizing existing emergency phones across campus for localized notification in case of an extreme emergency.
UMass Lowell Transportation Services: During the academic semester, shuttle services run:
- Monday-Friday from 6:45 a.m. to 6 p.m. between East, North, South, Inn & Conference Center, East Meadow Lane and satellite parking lots.
- Sunday-Wednesday evening, the night service starts at 6 p.m. and ends at 1:45 a.m. the following day. Shuttles run between East, North, South and the Inn & Conference Center, as well as on-call service to satellite parking lots, East Meadow Lane, UMass Bellgarde Boat House and other approved stops.
- Thursday-Saturday evening, the night service starts at 6 p.m. and ends at 2:45 a.m. the following day.
- The University also provides weekend service starting at 10:30 a.m. and ending at 6 p.m. (at which time the evening and night service starts).
- UMass Lowell Transportation services is only allowed to go to the Gallagher Terminal when the LRTA is not in service. When the LRTA is not in service, Gallagher Terminal shuttles are available on an on-call basis.
- For the most up to date information please check the UMass Lowell Transportation Services website. Any changes to the schedule will be posted online; or call the Transportation Services office at 978-934-2222.
Emergency Medical Technicians: Student E.M.T.’s are state-certified medical technicians who can respond to emergency requests for service by dialing 44-911 on campus and 978-934-4911 from off campus. The University Police dispatch the E.M.T.’s to all medical requests for service. They staff an Emergency Responder Vehicle that is equipped with state-of-the-art field medical supplies including an automated electro cardiovascular defibrillator unit (AED). If transport is needed, University Police will contact an Ambulance company for transport and, if necessary, Paramedics can also be dispatched.
Parking Enforcement Aides: All student and faculty/staff parking lots are randomly patrolled by student parking enforcement aides. They assist in providing directions to community members and visitors/guests to the University as well as issuing parking violations.