Applying to the Program
Admission into the program is highly competitive. The following criteria must be met prior to consideration. Waivers are granted only by the written approval of the Ph.D. program director.
- Graduate of an accredited U.S. college or university or an approved foreign equivalent institution.
- Earned grade point averages of 3.0 or better in all prior undergraduate and graduate studies.
- Minimum of four years full-time relevant work experience is preferred.
- Satisfactory GMAT or GRE taken within the last ten years.
- Submit three letters of recommendation.
- International students are expected to at least meet the minimum UMass Lowell TOEFL requirements.
The faculty admissions committee will review all of the above admissions materials in a portfolio approach. In addition, students will be expected to have successfully demonstrated graduate level knowledge in seven functional areas: Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Organizational Behavior, MIS, Operations Management and Strategic Management. Additionally, they will demonstrate undergraduate competency in Calculus, Statistics and Micro/Macro Economics. Students without such knowledge will be required to take the appropriate course or denied consideration.
Applying to the Manning School of Business is done through the UMass Lowell Graduate School. When the Ph.D. applicant has successfully submitted all material, the package is forwarded to: Associate Dean, Ph.D. Program. Upon receipt, the associate dean, as well as a team of faculty members will review the applicant’s package. Final recommendations are conducted by the associate dean, then provided to the UMass Lowell Graduate School. All applicants will be notified of the final decision through the school.
The Ph.D. Program uses a rolling application process. Applications are only accepted in the fall. Applicants are strongly encouraged to meet with the Ph.D. program director, as well as attend one of the open houses, where they will be able to meet the faculty.