Wireless Access on the UMass Lowell Campus
The UMass Lowell Information Technology Center provides extensive wireless network access across the UMass Lowell campus. Our current infrastructure ensures that everyone in the UMass Lowell community will have secure access to the network at data rates up to 54 Mbps. Each semester, the IT team makes system upgrades throughout the academic, administrative, and student areas of the University in an effort to keep pace with the University’s ever-growing wireless demands.
To take best advantage of the UMasss Lowell wireless network, you must have:
- A computer or mobile device to make a wireless connection (must be capable of using 802.1x encryption)
- An account authorized for UMass Lowell (802.1x) access. This is typically your UMass Lowell email address
Purchasing a Wireless Device?
When purchasing new devices, look for wireless cards that support 802.11a/b/g/n. Devices that only support b/g/n (without the 802.11a/n) are more likely to experience sluggishness in places where there is a high density of wireless device usage.
How to Establish a Wireless Connection
For best results, IT recommends that you connect to the preferred wireless network depending upon your usage:
- Faculty and Staff: Connect to "uml-admin"
- Students: Connect to "uml-student"
- Guests: Connect to "UMassLowell", then open a web browser and follow the on-screen instructions (see additional instructions below)
- Game Consoles: Connect to "uml-game-consoles" (see additional instructions below)
Here are configuration instructions for Windows, OS X, Android, and iOS operating systems, as well as game consoles. Use the links below to help you get started using the wireless network. Need more help? Contact the IT Help Center at x 4-4357 for assistance.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
All laptops using Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 have a built-in application for managing wireless connections. The instructions here are based on this utility. Please note that the default settings must be configured for wireless technology to work properly.
Instructions are available as PDFs and can be downloaded.