Wireless Access on the UMass Lowell Campus
The UMass Lowell Information Technology Center provides extensive wireless network access across the UMass Lowell campus. Our current infrastructure ensures that everyone in the UMass Lowell community will have secure access to the network at data rates up to 54 Mbps. Each semester, the IT team makes system upgrades throughout the academic, administrative, and student areas of the University in an effort to keep pace with the University’s ever-growing wireless demands.
To take best advantage of the UMasss Lowell wireless network, you must have:
- A computer or mobile device to make a wireless connection (must be capable of using 802.1x encryption)
- An account authorized for UMass Lowell (802.1x) access. This is typically your UMass Lowell email address
Purchasing a Wireless Device?
When purchasing new devices, look for wireless cards that support 802.11a/b/g/n/ac. Devices that only support b/g/n (without the 802.11a/n) are more likely to experience sluggish performance in places where there is a high density of wireless device usage.
How to Establish a Wireless Connection
Please connect to the appropriate wireless network depending upon your usage (i.e. if you are faculty, staff, or a students - do not use the guest network):
- Faculty, Staff and Students: Connect to "UMassLowell", then open a web browser and follow the on-screen instructions to use the 'eduroam' secure wireless network (see additional instructions below)
- Guests and Visitors: Connect to "UMassLowell", then open a web browser and follow the on-screen instructions for guest access (see additional instructions below)
- Game Consoles: Connect to "UMassLowell" from your game console device (see additional instructions below)
What is "eduroam"?
In August 2014, UMass Lowell consolidated the "uml-admin" and "uml-student" wireless networks to a new network named "eduroam". eduroam is a secure, worldwide roaming wireless service developed for the international research and higher education community. Note: The 'uml-admin' wireless network will remain available in academic and administrative locations until January 2015.
eduroam allows UMass Lowell faculty, staff, and students to obtain free wireless connectivity at participating institutions around the world, by simply opening their device and connecting to the eduroam network at that institution. This makes connecting to the Internet easy and convenient when visiting other campuses for conferences, research, or other reasons. Similarly, visitors from those participating institutions can easily get wireless access on the UMass Lowell campus by connecting to the eduroam network here.
eduroam is currently available at 178 institutions in the US and at thousands of institutions world-wide. Within the UMass system, UMass Lowell, UMass Amherst, and the President's Office are members of the eduroam community. More info on eduroam can be found here. Maps are available of participating institutions in the United States and at international locations.
Here are eduroam connection instructions for Windows, Mac OS X, Android, and iOS operating systems, as well as guest access and game consoles. Use the links below to help you get started using the wireless network. Need more help? Contact the IT Help Center at x 4-4357 for assistance. Instructions are available as PDFs and can be downloaded.