Student Retention System
Faculty can access Starfish with their UMass Lowell email credentials.
Sincefall 2012, wehave been using an application called Starfish to help the campus improve student retention. Starfish provides faculty with an easy-to-use tool to help identify students at-risk of underachieving. Studentsare made aware of their at-risk status and informed of services and resources available to help them succeed. The Centers for Learningmanages follow-up action with students and coordinates as needed with other campus faculty and staff. The goal is to retain students so they can complete their pursuit of a higher education degree at UMass Lowell.
Fall 2013 surveys will occur for over 200 courses including:
- English: College Writing I & II, CWI-ESL, CWII-ESL , IWL
- Health:Anatomy & Physiology Lab I; Anatomy & Physiology Lab II
- Intercollegiate FAHSS: Values and Creative Thinking; First Year Experience Seminar
- Management: First Year Management Seminar; Introduction to Business
- Math: Calculus I, IA, IB; Calculus for Life Sciences I; Management Pre-calculus; Management Pre-Calculus Supplemental Instruction; Management Calculus
- Science: Chemistry I
Metrics and information on semester starfish utilization
Charlotte Mandell - Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
Assistance Using Starfish
Donna Mellen - Information Technology (978-934-2925)
Douglas Cooper - Coordinator of Retention Services, Centers for Learning (978-934-4548)