Taking a Leave of Absence
(Includes starting a semester late and ending a semester early)
International Students need to obtain prior approval from the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) in order to take any of the following actions.
ISSO approval is needed prior to:
- Dropping below full-time enrollment status (which is 12 credits for undergraduate students and 9 credits for graduate students.)
- Taking a leave of absence for medical, military or personal reasons.
- International Students on an F-1 or J-1 student visa are expected to be physically present on campus while fulfilling their full-time enrollment requirement. Therefore, they are expected to:
- Be enrolled and participating in their coursework by the first day of the semester. Any student wishing to arrive on campus after the first day of classes should contact ISSO for a discussion/approval on this request.
- Any student wishing to stop their academics/leave campus prior to the completion date of the semester, is required to contact ISSO for a discussion/approval of this request.
Please feel free to contact the ISSO
to discuss your situation. We will do our best to assist you accordingly.