International Students & Scholars Office

Obtaining a Social Security Card

International Students must present a Letter from the International Students and Scholars Office confirming their full-time enrollment status.

International Faculty/Research Scholars on J-1, H-1B, O-1, TN, Employment Authorization Card, etc., must present their UMass Lowell Employment Letter.

International Students and Scholars must be mindful that off-campus employment is only permitted with prior authorization from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the International Students and Scholars Office through the issuance of a new Form I-20, Form DS-2019, Form I-797, etc.

In Addition to above-mentioned, all International Students, Faculty & Research Scholars must present:

Remember to ask for a receipt of your application when at the Social Security Administration. The receipt allows you to start your UMass Lowell employment, but it will not allow you to be paid. In order to be paid by UMass Lowell, you must provide Human Resources with your Social Security number (SS #) immediately upon receiving it. Human Resources will not be able to pay you until they have received your SS #. You may contact Human Resources at 978-934-3560.

Nearest Location of a Social Security Office:

Social Security Administration
151 Warren Street
Suite 300, The Gateway, Bldg. 11
Lowell, MA 01854
Telephone: 1-800-772-1213.

Office Hours:

  • Monday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. - Noon
  • Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Saturday & Sunday:CLOSED

The Lowell Social Security Office is across from the UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center. You can take the Yellow Line campus shuttle to the ICC. Please visit the UMass Lowell Transportation Services website for more information.

Other General Information

  1. You are permitted to open a bank account without a Social Security Card, by presenting your passport/visa documentation. You may need to remind the bank teller that you are permitted to open a bank account without a social security number by simply completing a W-8 Form. Some bank tellers are not aware of this and may need to be reminded.
  2. Please note that a UMass Lowell Identification Number is not a Social Security Number. It is illegal for you to use it as a Social Security Number.

For students who are applying for their Social Security Card after graduating from UMass Lowell,visit the Social Security Office nearest you and present the following:

  • Your Post-OPT, Employment Authorization Card
  • An Employment letter as proof that you have obtained employment
  • Your Post-OPT, I-20 Form
  • Your Passport
  • Your I-94 card

Please ask for a receipt from the Social Security Office as proof that you have applied. You can show this receipt to your employer’s Office of Human Resources.