International Students & Scholars Office

On-Campus Job Information

Most on-campus jobs are based on federal work-study funding. Unfortunately, international students are not eligible for work study funded jobs.   Below is a list of on-campus departments that sometimes offer non-work study funded positions for which international students can apply.   

Regarding Social Security & On-Campus Jobs for International Students
You do not need to have a Social Security Number to apply for an on-campus job.  You will need to have a Social Security Number before starting the job. It only takes two weeks to obtain a Social Security card. Our office is willing to explain this to any UML hiring department that may be reluctant to offer you a job for lack of a Social Security card.  If you encounter this problem, please ask them to contact either Maria Conley ( or Monica Rodriguez ( or have them call us at 978-934-2383.  Always get their name and telephone # and we will be happy to call them to explain the process and to make them feel comfortable in offering you a job.  

Please remember that you do NOT need a Social Security # to open a bank account or to do any business in the U.S.  Your passport and a brief explanation of your status will suffice.  If you ever need our office to write a letter or call anyone to explain your status, we’re happy to do so.  

How Many Hours Per week Can an International Student Work On-Campus:  International Students must maintain full-time status at all times and follow all legal requirements of their F-1 or J-1 student status.  F-1 and J-1 students are permitted to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week.  This is 20 hours per week in total of all combined on-campus jobs.  It is not 20 hours per job.  During the recognized UML vacation periods, international students in F-1 or J-1 status are permitted to work on-campus on a  full-time basis as long as they’re complying with all other F-1 & J-1  status requirements.  For questions on your status, contact or call us at 978-934-2383.  

All Off-Campus Work Authorization for F-1 or J-1 students must have the PRIOR approval of the International Students & Scholars Office and the issuance of a new Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.

Suggested On-campus Departments
Any employer other than those listed below is unacceptable as on-campus employment for international students.  When in doubt, ALWAYS check with the International Students & Scholars Office first.

Your Academic Department – check with your academic department first about job possibilities such as teaching assistantships, research assistantships, graduate assistantships or any other type of job within their department

Fox Hall, 2nd Floor
100 Pawtucket Street, Lowell
Southwick Hall, 308, Lowell

O'Leary Library, 3rd Floor, Lowell
Costello Gym
(978) 934-5760
300 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Lowell
University Crossing, Building 2, Lowell
Lydon, North
84 University Avenue, Lowell

O’Leary, South
61 Wilder, Lowell
Falmouth Hall, Lowell

1 Solomont Way, Lowell
50 Warren Street, Lowell