|Legal Issues Update and Good Employment Practices||A strong understanding of employment legal principles and concepts as well as University Human Resources policies is important for supervisors/managers to be able to recognize, and effectively deal with a myriad of employee issues that can arise. This program is designed to familiarize participants with basic employment laws governing the workplace to enable them to avoid making mistakes which can damage the University's reputation and lead to costly and time consuming litigation. |
Facilitator: John Chayrigues, Associate Counsel Office of the General Counsel
|WAN-305;||4/8/2014 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
|What's Happening in HR/EOO?|
This program provides an overview of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity and Outreach resources available to you:
- Payroll Services: learn about who is who in the office and what they do, how to read your paycheck, how to read your W-2, how to enter and approve timesheets, why are there deadlines, how to process PAF forms and what is an eForm
- Benefits/Compensation: learn more about the GIC-sponsored benefits such as health, life, long-term disabilities and flexible spending accounts
- Employment Services: obtain information on the evolving search process and model, best practices and resources available, and an update on the applicant tracking system
- Equal Opportunity & Outreach: learn how through consultation, regulation, education and partnerships, the EOO is a catalyst for a diverse and inclusive UMass Lowell community consisting of a diverse faculty, staff and student body who have the cultural competencies necessary to advance knowledge and improve the lives of the people of the Commonwealth, the nation and the world.
- Labor Relations: provide a general understanding of the University's bargaining unit structure as well as an overview of basic labor-management relations and the collective bargaining process.
Facilitators: Michael Rutherford, Director of Labor Relations / Hilary Clark, Director of Payroll / Kim Casey, Director of Compensatoin & Benefits / Clara I. Orlando, Director of EOO / Lori Cawthorne, Director of Employment Services
|WAN-305;||4/15/2014 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM