There are clear hallmarks of a UMass Lowell education, each focused on helping students succeed in their academic careers and, after graduation, in their professional careers.
Learning at UMass Lowell is characterized by:
• Students learn through:
work experience in industry and business (paid co-ops)
service in community or civic projects
discovery doing research with world-class faculty
• Experiential learning enhances each student’s ability to address challenges in industry, business, or society.
• Students may:
Create an interdisciplinary program by combining a major and minor,
* engineering or science major with management or
* music major with a science or engineering, or
* another unique combination
Choose an inherently interdisciplinary major.
Student Success through Learning Communities
• Learning communities connect small groups of students who work together to explore topics of interest to all.
• Communities connect students to each other, to a professor in their major and to the campus community.
• All freshmen are enrolled in learning communities.
Commonwealth Honors Program
• The Honors Program offers
* First year seminars and advanced workshops,
* Honors courses in your major,
* Research experience and Senior Thesis,
* Honors residence hall, and
* Enrichment acti
- More than 400 students across all majors currently participate.
Co-ops, Internships and Jobs
• Career Services assists students in locating internships and co-ops.
• More than 250 companies have hired international students for flexible, paid internships or co-ops.
• UMass Lowell graduates earn the highest mid-career salaries of any public institution in
• Earn a master’s degree in a fifth year of study.
• Enroll in certain graduate courses during your senior year.
• Your Master’s can be in any of the colleges.
• Your Master’s can be in the same discipline as your undergraduate major or in a different discipline.
Professional Science Masters Degrees
• Professional Science Master’s Degrees (PSMs):
* Are geared for advancement in industry and business,
* Combine disciplinary training in science or engineering with business fundamentals, project leadership, team work and communication,
* Include a co-op in industry or business, and
* Are currently offered in Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Health Physics, Forensic Chemistry.