There are clear hallmarks of a UMass Lowell education, each focused on helping students succeed in their academic careers and, after graduation, in their professional careers.
Learning at UMass Lowell is characterized by
• Students learn through:
- work experience in industry and business (paid co-ops)
- service in community or civic projects
- discovery doing research with world-class faculty
- international experiences.
• Experiential learning enhances each student’s ability to address challenges in industry, business, or society.
- Create an interdisciplinary program by combining a major and minor,
engineering or science major with management or music major with a science or engineering, or another unique combination.
- Choose an inherently interdisciplinary major.
Student Success through Learning Communities
• Learning communities connect small groups of students who work together to explore topics of interest to all.
• Communities connect students to each other, to a professor in their major and to the campus community.
• All freshmen are enrolled in learning communities.
Commonwealth Honors Program
The Honors Program offers
- First-year seminars and advanced workshops
- Honors courses in your major
- Research experience and Senior Thesis
- Honors residence hall
- Enrichment activities.
More than 400 students across all majors currently participate.
Co-ops, Internships and Jobs
• Career Services assists students in locating internships and co-ops.
• More than 250 companies have hired international students for flexible, paid internships or co-ops.
• UMass Lowell graduates earn the highest mid-career salaries of any public institution in New England.
Accelerated Master’s Programs (Plus One Programs)
• Earn a master’s degree in a fifth year of study.
• Enroll in certain graduate courses during your senior year.
• Your Master’s degree can be in any of the colleges.
• Your Master’s degree can be in the same discipline as your undergraduate major or in a different discipline.
Professional Science Masters Degrees
Professional Science Master’s Degrees (PSMs):
- Are geared for advancement in industry and business
- Combine disciplinary training in science or engineering with business fundamentals, project leadership, team work and communication
- Include a co-op in industry or business
- Are currently offered in Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Health Physics, Forensic Chemistry.