Course Requirements for English Minors
All English Department minors are open to students enrolled in any undergraduate college at the University. The minor requires 18-24 credits, six of which must be at the 300 level or above. Students who chose to do a minor in English should consult with an English Department advisor. The Department offers the following minors:
English (General English Minor)
This minor consists of 18-24 credits of coursework including six credits at the 300 level or above.
English - Writing Minor
This minor offers students an opportunity to focus on journalism, creative and/or professional writing. The minor consists of 18 to 24 credits. Students in the Writing Minor must take :
- 42.227 Essay Writing for English Majors or 42.229 Essay Writing for Non-English Majors
- At least two 300 or 400 level writing courses
- English Department electives
The Department recommends that writing minors take 42.308 Analysis of Modern English. Please see the undergraduate catalog for course descriptions.
Theatre Arts Minor
The interdisciplinary minor in Theatre Arts offers students professional instruction and supervision in the practical work of theatre together with critical study of the history and forms of dramatic literature. The minor consists of 18 to 24 credits, with at least two courses at the 300 level or above. Students should take 59.219, Introduction to Theatre, at the beginning of their coursework. The remaining courses should be distributed among the following three categories:
- Theatre arts workshops. At least six credits.
- Dramatic literature or music. At least six credits.
- Practicum in theatre. Three credits. (A part-time, full-semester internship at a professional theatre. Must be arranged through the Director during pre-registration period).
Please see the undergraduate undergraduate catalog for course descriptions.