Programs of Study
Students pursuing a BLA degree select 2 concentrations from the list below of disciplinary or interdisciplinary concentrations and take a minimum of 8 courses in each concentration. Students must also satisfy a competency requirement by completing 4 courses designated by the student in consultation with the BLA advisor. There is no language requirement for the BLA degree.
The specific degree requirements are:
- 2 concentrations (48 credits)
- 8 courses in 2 concentrations for a total of 16 courses
- At least 4 of the courses (12 credits) in each concentration must be taken at the 300-400 level
- Competency requirement (12 credits)
- 4 courses designated by the student in consultation with the BLA advisor
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.20
- Students must also fulfill the University’s general education requirements
It is important that students meet regularly with their BLA advisor for consultation in choosing their courses, since each concentration has specific requirements. Each concentration is described in greater detail below.
The BLA competency requirement is designed to provide students with the breadth of knowledge and critical thinking skills that define a contemporary liberal arts education. Students must choose 4 courses in consultation with the BLA advisor to fulfill this requirement.
For more information, see the Undergraduate Catalog.
Social Sciences Concentrations