UML Pinanski Parking Lot Re-Design
Course: 25.108 Introduction to Engineering II (Civil Engineering)
Semester: Spring 2008
Instructor: Jackie Zhang
Partner:University of Massachusetts Lowell
The Pinanski Parking Lot is located between the Costello Gym and Pinanski Building and has about 85 parking spaces. The area is under consideration for improvements due to numerous and varied deficiencies including: directional issues; snow removal and snow farming; drainage and bank stabilization; congestion and accessible parking. The students developed various deliverables for the customer: written reports, a presentation (to which the community partners were invited), an Auto-CAD generated drawing of the suggested parking lot re-design, and they also filled out some peer reviews to rate the work of their team. The community partner reported to still be “impressed by the quality of the students’ work and the excellent ideas they propose” – it is this quality of work that keeps our community partners asking to be part of more service learning projects.
Learning objectives met by the S-L project were for students to:
- Be able to make 2D line and dimensioned engineering drawings using AutoCad.
- Be able to present technical information to an audience in both written format and oral format.
Community objectives met by the S-L project:
- Count the existing parking spots (including handicapped spots)
- Re-design the parking lot to increase the number of spaces
- Improve pedestrian access to UML facilities
- Maintain handicap parking as dictated by code
- Improve snow removal and snow farming operations