UML Parking Lot Re-Design
Course: 25.108 - Introduction to Engineering II (Civil Engineering)
Instructor: Jackie Zhang
Partner: University of Massachusetts Lowell Facilities
Project Description: UMass Lowell Parking Lot Re-Design. The parking lot behind the Lydon Library located on north campus of UMass Lowell is currently divided into three sections serving faculty/staff, students living in Smith Hall, and students living in Eames Hall. The existing parking lot is poorly designed. It lacks pedestrian access, has no space for snow plowing, and there are many dead-ends. UMass Lowell intends to make improvements in and around the existing parking area behind Lydon Library and the Smith & Eames dormitory. The UMass Lowell facilities department was impressed by the quality of the students’ work and excellent ideas proposed by engineering students. In addition to the course content covered by this project, students were able to utilize what they learned to assist the university in solving a long-time challenge and parking issue.
Learning objectives met by the S-L project:
- Be able to make 2D line and dimensioned engineering drawings using AutoCad.
- Be able to present technical information to an audience in both written format and oral format.
Community objectives met by the S-L project:
- Re-design the parking lot to increase the number of spaces
- Improve pedestrian access to UMass Lowell facilities
- Maintain handicap parking as dictated by code
- Improve snow removal and snow farming operations