Graduate School of Education

Graduate Certificates

The Graduate School of Education offers three graduate certificates (12 credits each)

teaching-opt Updated Logo Cert Picture

Teaching English as a Second Language (for school cohorts only)

Teaching Students with Moderate Disabilities 

Each graduate certificate requires 12 credits of coursework designed to give candidates the content knowledge and practical experience needed for work in classrooms. Candidates who successfully complete the Teaching English as a Second Language Certificate or the Teaching Children with Moderate Disabilities Certificate have the opportunity to apply for an add-on license in these high-need areas through a Massachusetts DESE competency review. Individuals interested in an additional Massachusetts license should seek advice from Vera Ossen, Ph.D. (978-934-4604) about licensing (including teacher test requirements) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Admissions Requirements

  • Proof of either a baccalaureate or master's degree from an approved teacher-preparation program with a minimum GPA of 3.0. 
  • Must hold an initial or professional Massachusetts teacher license in the appropriate field required for the certificate. 
  • Graduate Certificate Admission Form 
  • Application fee 

The candidate should follow the procedures described on the Graduate Admissions website

All applications will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee of the Graduate School of Education, and a decision will be rendered in writing to the applicant.

Applying the Graduate Certificate to a Master’s Degree or Ed.S. in Curriculum and Instruction

Upon completion of either certificate, candidates may apply for admission to the M.Ed. or Ed.S. in Curriculum and Instruction.  The four courses from the certificate will be applied to the degree.

No GRE is required for admission to the M.Ed. or Ed.S. if the candidate holds professional status in his/her school district.  Candidates must be recommended by faculty and achieve a satisfactory GPA (3.0 minimum) in the certificate program. Interested candidates must follow the procedures for admission to a degree program found on the Graduate Admissions website.