Master of Science in Accounting
Program of Study
The Master of Science in Accounting (MSA) program in the Manning School of Business at UMass Lowell provides an economically affordable opportunity for qualified students to meet the licensing requirements to meet the licensing requirements to become Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and prepare for success in a competitive environment and a respected profession, one whose members continue to be in high demand from public accounting firms, financial institutions, industry, government agencies, municipalities, schools, hospitals and charitable organizations. The Massachusetts Board of Public Accountancy has classified the MSA program at Manning School of Business as “Level 1” and deemed the program to be substantially equivalent to AACSB standards. Any student who earns a graduate degree in accounting from a Level 1 program is judged to have satisfied the educational requirements to take the CPA exam. Students who earn degrees from non-Level 1 programs must demonstrate that they have satisfied such educational requirements. Therefore, our MSA program’s Level 1 status makes it easier for UMass Lowell accounting graduates to eventually become CPA's.
The MSA program can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis and all courses ae available online. For a full-time student, the 10-course, 30-credit program can typically be completed in one calendar year (e.g., four courses in the fall, four in the spring, and two in the summer). Part-time students will on average, complete the program in about three years. We accept students with undergraduate accounting, business, and non-business degrees. Students without an accounting undergraduate degree from an accredited US institution will have to complete a series of prerequisite courses prior to beginning the MSA program.
- GPA - Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (overall); comparable Accounting GPA.
- GMAT (500+); can be waived if the undergraduate GPA is at least 3.5 at an AACSB-accredited school and upon receipt of a recommendation by a faculty member; GMAT can also be waived for students in the UMass Lowell Plus 1 Program with an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- Successful completion of all other University of Massachusetts Lowell Graduate Admissions requirements including three letters of recommendation and Master of Science in Accounting TOEFL minimums.
- Exceptions or modifications to the above will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- An internship or other relevant employment in the field is strongly encouraged, either before or during the program.
CurriculumMSA Core Courses
(5 courses required)
MSA Elective Courses
- 60.605 Governmental and Non-Profit Accounting
- 60.612 Advanced Cost Management
- 60.630 Taxation of Business Entities
- 60.640 Financial Accounting Theory and Research
- 60.655 Advanced Accounting
(2 courses required)
- 60.602 Advanced Management and Sustainability Accounting
- 60.622 Globalization and Accounting
- 60.623 Contemporary Accounting Issues
- 60 645 Fraud Examination and Forensic Accounting
MSA non-Accounting Business elective courses(3 courses required)
Courses are generally selected from the UMass Lowell MBA program; other courses can be selected with the approval of the MSA Coordinator.
Students without an accounting undergraduate degree granted by an accredited US institution will be required to complete a series of up to 8 accounting prerequisite courses prior to starting the MSA courses. Details on the prerequisites can be found online
or by contacting Stefanie Tate, MSA Coordinator.
For more information about the Master of Science in Accounting, contact:
Stefanie Tate, CPA, Ph.D.