Computer Science

Computer Science Minor

The Computer Science Minor is primarily designed for students majoring in a science or engineering department or any other department where a substantial amount of quantitative knowledge is required.  The minor is designed to provide such students with a fairly deep background in computer science to complement their major beyond the requirements of their major department.  Completion of the minor allows the student to receive recognition of this accomplishment on his degree.

To receive a minor in computer science, students must complete a minimum of six courses with the following stipulations:

  • four of the courses must be:
    • 91.101 Computing I  (4 credits)
    • 91.102 Computing II  (4 credits)
    • 91.201 Computing III  (4 credits)
    • 91.203 Computer Organization and Assembly Language  (4 credits)
  • the remaining two courses must be at the 300 or 400 level and must be acceptable as either required or elective CS courses for CS majors
  • courses transferred from other educational institutions can be applied to the CS Minor, but at least three of the courses applied to the minor must be taken in the UMass Lowell CS Dept
  • all courses applied to the CS minor must total at least 18 credits
  • only courses in which a student earns a grade of C or better can be applied to the CS Minor

Some CS courses numbered 91.301 or higher require 92.321 Discrete Structures I and 92.322 Discrete Structures II as prerequisites.  To make things easier for non-CS majors, the department allows 92.221 Linear Algebra to substitute for 92.321 Discrete Structures I.  This allows CS minors to use a potentially required course for their own major to satisfy part of this CS prerequisite.

Students interested in the CS Minor should meet with the CS Undergraduate Coordinator to plan a program that will best meet the student’s goals. To declare the minor, use a Declaration of Major/Minor/Second Major or Change of Major form (pdf), which must be signed by the CS Undergraduate Coordinator.