Professional Science Master's (PSM)
What differientiates the PSM from the core Master's degree?
PSM Options at UMass Lowell
The Professional Science Master's (PSM) is an innovative, non-thesis degree option designed to allow students to pursue advanced training, while simultaneously developing workplace skills highly valued by employers. These programs consist of of core academic training, a required internship and cross-training in business and communications. All programs have been developed in concert with industry in response to employer demands for specific skills and knowledge above and beyond the core science curriculum.
These programs provide students with training and skills both in science and business which allows them to be more competitive in today’s global market. The PSM (Professional Science Master) is designed as a terminal degree preparing candidates for entry directly into the workforce by preparing them through professional coursework in business and a 3 credit hour internship in a related setting.
What differentiates a Professional Science Master's option from the core degree?
- The Professional Science Master’s (PSM) is a non-thesis option designed to prepare students for science careers in business, government or non-profit organizations.
- The PSM combines rigorous study in science or mathematics with skills-based coursework in business, management, policy, law or other fields.
- It emphasizes the written and verbal communication, leadership, and team-building skills required in professional settings.
- PSM programs are interdisciplinary in nature.
- The degree can be completed in two years of full-time study, including a real world internship.
- Most PSM programs have established advisory committees of local employers to ensure their curriculum is responsive to regional workforce needs.
Professional Science Master's Options at UMass Lowell:
For more information regarding PSM programs at UMass Lowell contact Ms. Susan Lawton.
For more information regarding PSM programs nation-wide: www.sciencemasters.com