Freewheelers - The Shortest Distance Between Two Classes!
What is Freewhelers?
The UMass Lowell Free Wheelers Bike Share program provides free bicycles for students, faculty and staff. Bicycle check out is quick and easy and you only need to register once. After you register, simply check out and return a bike at any of the 5 check-out stations on campus. Bicycles are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
New Free Wheeler App!!
Find out how many bikes are available at each check out station! Go to: www.uml.edu/getafreewheeler
Check Out Locations & Maps
- East Campus: Campus Recreation Center Welcome Desk
- South Campus: O'Leary Library Info Desk & Riverview Fitness Center Welcome Desk
- North Campus: Lydon Library Info Desk
- University Crossing: Info desk on first floor
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. (Lydon and O'Leary Library checkout locations close at 4 p.m. on Fridays)
Saturday & Sunday: 10 a.m. - 7 p.m (Only CRC and Riverview Fitness Center)
Summer Availability - Only Available at Campus Recreation Center!
Monday - Friday 6:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Only Current University Faculty, Staff, and Students may register for Free Wheelers. To Register:
- Complete a waiver & a quiz
- Have your UCard authenticated
- Review safety information
Registration is active for 1 academic year.
Register in one of two ways:
- Visit any checkout station and follow their instructions.
- Download the Waiver and quiz below, and return it to any station.
How to Check-out and Return a Bicycle
Once you are registered, you can go to any Bike check-out stations and request a bike. The staff will give you a key and then you head to the racks. Racks are typically blue and marked with UMass Lowell Free Wheelers decals just like the decals on the bicycles. Simply match your key number with the appropriate bike number and you can unlock your bike. Be sure to lock your bike securely before returning the keys to any of the checkout stations by the close of operating hours.
Review this handout for more information on the Anatomy of a FreeWheeler (pdf).
Bikes are available only at the Campus recreation center, and are rented for up to 7 days at a time.
These bikes are yours during the whole 7 day rental, feel free to take an evening trip downtown, commute from home or get to your 8 a.m. class with out a hassle!
Weekly rentals include a U-Lock and optional helmet.
Policies & Guidelines
- Late Fees: A $20 per day late fee will be charged to all those failing to return a bike to a designated checkout station by the end of program hours the day it is borrowed.
- Property: By borrowing a bike you agree to be held financially responsible if the bike is damaged or stolen. Any person borrowing a bike not returned in the condition that it was issued will be charged an appropriate repair fee. Anyone not returning a bike will be charged an $800 replacement fee. A hold will be placed on the borrowers university account and he/she will also not be allowed to register for classes without paying the replacement fee.
- Lock and Key: The key must be returned to a check-in station when the bike is returned. If a U Lock key is lost the user will be charged a $45 replacement fee. If a frame lock key is lost, the user will be charged a $100 replacement fee.
Locking and Unlocking the Bike
Keep in mind, these bikes have two keys and locks:
- One key goes to the Orange U-lock that secures the bike frame to the bike rack. Turn the key a full turn before sliding the U bar out of the frame.
- The second key goes to the frame lock around the rear bike tire. Insert the key, turn, and slide the bar up. This key stays in the bike while you ride it and only comes out when you lock it again.
Ride safely and have fun as you navigate between campuses using sustainable transportation!
When you arrive at your destination, simply lock your bicycle to the designated UMass Lowell Freewheelers bike rack and bring your key into the check-out station.
Email us. To report a mechanical issue, please call us at 978-934-6797.