The Shortest Distance Between Two Classes!
What is Free Wheelers?
The UMass Lowell Free Wheelers Bike Share program provides free bicycles for students, faculty and staff. Bicycle check out is quick and easy and you only need to register once. After you register, simply check out and return a bike at any of the 4 check-out stations on campus (pdf). Bicycles are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Hours & Availability
Bikes are available for check-out:
May 10 - August 31, 2013 at the Campus Recreation Center Only
(all other locations closed)
Rentals follow Recreation Center Summer Hours:
Monday - Friday 6:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
SEMESTERFall Semester: September through Thanksgiving Break.
Spring Semester: March 19 through May 9, 2013
All 4 check-out stations: Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
East Campus Recreation Center & Downtown Inn & Conference Center:
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. and Sunday Noon - 10 p.m.
South & North check-out stations: No weekend availability.
Registration & Maps
Register to use a Free Wheelers bike at any of the 4 checkout stations or you can also download the registration form below, fill out the information, and bring it with you to a check-out station.
- East Campus: Campus Recreation Center
- South Campus: McGauvran Student Information Center (SIC)
- North Campus: Southwick Dining Hall Room 100B
- Downtown: Inn & Conference Center (ICC)
The Free Wheelers Bike Stations can be found on the Campus Map. You can also view information for check-out stations and suggested routes between campuses by clicking the links below.
How to Check-out and Return a Bicycle
Once you are registered, you can go to any Bike check-out stations
and request a bike. The staff will give you a key and then you head to the racks. Racks are typically blue and marked with UMass Lowell Free Wheeler decals just like the decals on the bicycles. Simply match your key number with the appropriate bike number and you can unlock your bike.
Locking and Unlocking the Bike
*Keep in mind, these bikes have two keys and locks:
- One key goes to the Orange U-lock that secures the bike frame to the bike rack. Turn the key a full turn before sliding the U bar out of the frame.
- The second key goes to the frame lock around the rear bike tire. Insert the key, turn, and slide the bar up. This key stays in the bike while you ride it and only comes out when you lock it again.
When you arrive at your destination, simply lock your bicycle to the designated UMass Lowell Free Wheelers bike rack and bring your key
into the check-out station
Policies & Guidelines
- Late Fees: A $20 per day late fee will be charged to all those failing to return a bike to a designated checkout station by the end of program hours the day it is borrowed.
- Property: By borrowing a bike you agree to be held financially responsible if the bike is damaged or stolen. Any person borrowing a bike not returned in the condition that it was issued will be charged an appropriate repair fee. Anyone not returning a bike will be charged an $800 replacement fee. A hold will be placed on the borrowers university account and he/she will also not be allowed to register for classes without paying the replacement fee.
- Lock and Key: The key must be returned to a check-in station when the bike is returned. If a key is lost the user will be charged a $45 replacement fee.
This Spring we are hosting Free Wheeler Fridays each week to highlight this great program! View the Schedule below and grab a punch-card from a station. Get it punched each friday and enter to win a bike at the Spring Carnival! All events are Mission All-In Events!
- Bike Expo on March 22!
- First-Time Friday March 29
- Rent a Free Wheeler for the first time and get a coupon for a free coffee
- Already registered? Bring a friend who isn't and you both will get a coupon
- ICC and South Campus Friday April 5
- Free Coffee Cart at the Free Wheeler Bike Rack on South Campus 10am-2pm
- Receive Rowdy Zone Food Tokens when you rent or return a bike at the ICC
- Free Wheeler Messenger Bag Day April 12
- Rent a Free Wheeler and get a free Messenger Bag
- Bring a Friend Friday April 19
- Bring a friend (even a non-student) to ride with and get a free Clif bar
- Free Wheeler Scavenger Hunt @ Spring Carnival April 26
- Participate in groups of 4-6 people in a campus-wide scavenger hunt before the Spring Carnival to win a Prize Pack that includes: food, gift certificates, and some sweet gear!
- http://massbike.org - This website has many resources including bike safety education, riding tips, local paths/trails and Massachusetts state bike laws.
- http://bicyclesafe.com - Find out tips on how to avoid accidents with automobiles.
- http://www.ridethecity.com/ - Find the best routes to bike around Boston
- http://www.traillink.com/ - Trail Link, run by the Rails to Trails Conservancy, helps you plan biking trips and routes based on established biking trails and greenways. It is a great resource whether you are planning a family weekend in Maine or a Saturday ride with friends.
- Mobile Apps- There are some great user-friendly apps out there, such as Strava and MapMyRide that help you track your own bike rides, and allows you to see others' routes as you plan new rides.
. To report a mechanical issue, please call us at 978-934-1932.