Requirements to earn a STEM Teaching Minor
STEM Teaching Minor
To earn the minor, students must successfully complete 8 UTeach courses (9 for math majors), including a teaching practicum and seminar, which is completed during one semester of senior year. Several of the UTeach courses also serve as Gen Ed or free electives course requirements.
To be accepted into UTeach, undergraduate science or engineering students must:
- Successfully complete Step 1 and Step 2 with a grade of B- or better.
- Maintain a GPA of 2.7 or better.
- Submit a formal application to apply for the STEM Teaching minor.
For all UTeach courses that require student teaching in an elementary, middle school or high school classroom, students must undergo and pass a CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) background checks for each K-12 school district.
To qualify for a teaching license, student must pass two Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL tests):
- Communication & Literacy Skills test, and
- A Subject Area Test for the field in which you seek certification.
We recommend that UTeach students take these tests at the end of sophomore year, or during their junior year.