The goal of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is to provide its students with a well balanced, high quality education in four principal areas of civil engineering: environmental, geotechnical, structural, and transportation engineering that will permit them to practice civil engineering at a professional level, that will prepare them for graduate study, that will promote life long learning and continuing professional development and that will provide them with the skills and knowledge necessary to develop into active contributors to the economic and social vitality of the region.
Requirements of the Major
CEE ABET Objectives
- Objective 1: Graduates, who wish to pursue professional employment, will obtain a position in Civil Engineering or related engineering field, and will be successful in that position.
- Objective 2: Graduates will pursue lifelong learning, professional development, and registration as appropriate for their employers.
- Objective 3: Graduates will engage in service activities related to their profession.
The current ABET Criterion 3 a-k Outcomes for CEE are as follows:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering;
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability;
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams;
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems;
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility;
- an ability to communicate effectively;
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context;
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning;
- a knowledge of contemporary issues;
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.