Teaching by Design: Assignments, Assessment, Achievement - a one-day institute to be held June 19, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at the UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell and Middlesex Community College are pleased to announce a one-day institute - Teaching by Design: Assignments, Assessment, Achievement. This day of professional development will provide faculty with an opportunity to share, reflect upon, and renew their pedagogical strategies. The day will feature sessions on topics such as collaborative assignment design, working with general education and course learning outcomes, using VALUE rubrics to build assignment rubrics, ePortfolios, and a keynote address by Peggy Maki, author of Assessing for Learning: Building a Sustainable Commitment Across the Institution. Attendees will come away with new ideas for how to build student success through a focus on teaching, assessment, and student learning. There is no registration fee for this event.
Call for Proposals
UMass Lowell and Middlesex Community College are now accepting proposals for presentations, panels, and hands-on workshop sessions for the Teaching by Design: Assignments, Assessment, Achievement institute on June 19, 2014 at the UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center.
Suggested topics include:
- Using ePortfolios
- Designing Mixed Media student assignments
- Designing assignments for general education learning outcomes
- Grading and assessment
- Using VALUE rubrics to build assignment rubrics
- Assessing with AAC&U’s VALUE rubrics
- Communicating learning outcomes to students
- Building Students’ Competency with Learning outcomes
- Faculty and Staff Development and Assessment
- Student Affairs and Gen Ed Learning outcomes
- Technology and Assessment
Other topics related to the institute’s theme, general or discipline-specific, are welcome.
A $500 stipend will be awarded for those proposals that are accepted and presented at the institute.
Proposals are due no later than April 25, 2014.
We're looking forward to a great semester - check back often for event updates! Contribute to our Tips and Inspirations blog.
- Enlightened Bites - Julie Chen, Vice Provost for Research, invites UMass Lowell faculty and their guests to the information, lunch-time, lecture series, Enlightened Bites!
- IT Workshop - The next series of workshops will be offered March 17 - April 14, 2014. Please contact Donna_Mellen@uml.edu if you have ideas or would enjoy attending any new workshops.
- April 23 - Deborah Myer delivers keynote at XIX Symposium on Educational Research and Practice.
- Fall 2014 - It is not too early to think about the Fall 2014 Teaching and Learning Symposium. Contact the Institutional Review Board now if you are thinking of a presentation involving student work or data.