Cultural Studies - Modern Languages - Spanish & French
The main purpose of the language programs is to provide students with the ability to function more effectively in the multicultural world we live in. The courses offer students the opportunity to acquire an ability to use a second languages and to become aware of the cultures in which they flourish.
Language programs focus on the major intellectual concerns, culture and communication. Serving as the paradigmatic model for thinking in the human sciences, language occupies a high rung in the conceptualization of numerous disciplines and sign systems. Language courses offer an understanding of language as a system and a model of communication in its cultural context, in addition to providing skills in a number of languages. The learning of languages facilitates the cultural connection with the various linguistic groups of the region. The specific areas of study include instruction in language, literature, linguistics, civilization and culture.
Requirements of the Major
Semester by Semester Program of Study:
Upon graduating students should be able to:
- Communicate in languages other than English
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of other cultures
- Demonstrate connection with other disciplines
- Demonstrate the ability to acquire information and recognize the distinctive viewpoints that are only available through the foreign language
- Demonstrate insight into the nature of language and culture
- Participate in multilingual communities at home & around the world