Freshmen and Seniors: Your Voice Counts!
Give us your feedback on NSSE!
What is the NSSE?
NSSE, the National Survey of Student Engagement, is a questionnaire for college students in schools across the country. Second-semester freshmen and second-semester seniors are invited to participate. The survey includes questions about your experience as an undergraduate at UMass Lowell and will take about 15 minutes to complete. Survey responses are confidential. Watch our promotional video
Why invest my 15 minutes?
The data from the survey (we see cumulative results but no individual surveys) gives key faculty and administrators a snapshot of what the undergraduate experience actually is. We can compare this data to the university’s goals. We can see how freshmen assess their experience compared to seniors. And we can see how our students’ responses compare to the responses from students at hundreds of other participating schools.
Participation Goal: 1,000 Students
This year, we hope at least 1,000 students will complete the survey. The analysis of survey data influences the decisions designed to improve the undergraduate experience at UMass Lowell. The greater the number of participants, the more accurate and valuable the survey data will be.
Incentives and Prizes
In appreciation for participating, everyone will receive a $5 voucher for campus Starbucks via email, redeemable on eight specified dates.
Additionally, we'll be selecting winners at random from everyone who's completed the survey to win a variety of prizes:
- March 4: Two iPads (worth over $400), one for a first-year student and one for a senior.
- March 11: Two $300 gift cards to Best Buy, one to a first-year student and one to a senior.
- March 25: Two $300 gift cards to Best Buy, one to a first-year student and one to a senior.
- Throughout the survey period, keep your eyes open -- we'll be raffling off swag bags of River Hawk gear, and we'll also have photo ops with Rowdy the River Hawk. Your chances of winning a prize depends on how many complete the survey; the last time we administered this survey about 1,000 students responded.
How do I take the survey?
This is the location of the survey
and here’s the link to look up your username and password
. These credentials can also be found in a “NSSE” message to your student email account.
When can I take this survey?
The survey will be available from February 18 through June 1.
Did you know?
- In a recent NSSE survey, when UMass Lowell respondents were asked if they were satisfied with their overall educational experience, 82 percent of first year students responded “good or “excellent,” while 82 percent of seniors said they would choose this school again if they could start their college career over.
- 80% said that their experience at UMass Lowell had contributed to their thinking critically and analytically.
- Our students excelled in the area of collaborative learning.